1.15.2006

I suppose that's one way to get in

Fiance never ceases to amaze me. I love him dearly, but he's such a...guy.

Last week, while I was at work, he arrived home from his job to find that the front door wouldn't open. We recently moved into this house, which was built around the turn of the century, and the front door is very old and has a handle on it with a latch, as opposed to a door knob. We learned only after this incident that the latch can become inoperable if a button on the inside of the door near the dead bolt is pushed in, thus making it impossible to open the door from the outside, even if the deadbolt has been unlocked.

Fiance was unable to get into the house, since the only other door is located in our one-car garage, and I have the only door opener to the garage in my car.

So, he was effectively locked out of the house. What do you suppose he did? Did he 1) use either his cell phone or a neighbor's phone to call me at work 2) kill some time at the mall until I got home or 3) break a basement window and crawl through it?

If your answer was either 1 or 2, then you obviously don't know my fiance. He didn't have his cell phone with him and apparently couldn't be bothered to ask the neighbors if he could use their phone. And, I guess he just wasn't in the mood to go shopping either. So, being the self-reliant and practical man that he is, he broke.into.our.house.

Can someone please explain this to me? Was this just a strange variation of the more typical male behavior of refusing to ask for directions under any circumstances in order to appear wholly self-reliant? Or is he a peculiar speciman of a man in need of serious therapy? I'm on the fence...