2.08.2006

True 'dat

I walked into the dump with Mike and Sue. Although I was friendly with the other associates, I was closest with these two. Mike threw his tall, lanky frame into a chair and ran his hands through his short, dark brown hair. His hazel eyes sparkled roguishly. “Whew. I sure needed a break. It's Friday, right?” He winked.

Sue sat down and grinned, “No kidding. If only.” She was a short, shapely woman whose suits were, by choice, almost always one size too small; some might call them snug; others, unseemly. Although somewhat vertically challenged, she wasn’t at all short on personality. Sue cleared her throat and then said, “Drum roll, please.”

We looked at Sue expectantly. “I got the judge’s decision yesterday on the Morgan file.”

“And?” Mike asked.

“We won, of course! What did you expect?” she laughed, her blue eyes lighting up. She absently wrapped a blond curl around her finger as she spoke, “I e-mailed Ron right away to let him know about the decision.”

“What did he say?” I asked.

“Nothing! I never heard back from him!” she exclaimed. “So I ran into him this morning and told him about the decision. He said he’d accidentally deleted the e-mail without reading it and asked me to re-send it to him. I told him that it was still on his computer and to look in the “deleted e-mails” folder. He looked at me like I was speaking Greek. He didn’t even know what I meant! I still can’t believe that most of the partners don’t even understand how their computers work. It constantly amazes me.”

“I know,” said Mike. He took a sip of his coffee and leaned back in his chair, stretching his long legs out in front of him. “You’ve got to remember that most of these guys are over fifty. It’s a generational thing.” He grinned mischievously, “Most of them don’t realize is that we can search the firm directory and read any document that was created on the network. Makes for interesting reading on the weekends when you’re bored, but you didn’t hear that from me!”

I laughed. “I bet it does! Anyway, congrats Sue. You worked hard on that case. And, just think--you made Morgan Enterprises even more money. Way to fight for the downtrodden!”

She smirked, “Yep, that’s why I went to law school: to make the rich richer! It’s pretty pathetic, isn’t it?”

I shook my head. “No. We’re all in the same boat. We’ve got to pay back our student loans somehow. What choice do we have? Not everyone can afford to fight the good fight."

Mike nodded. "True 'dat."